Saturday, November 2, 2013

Rocky start to November

So, here we are in November already. Today is the second. Today I am thanking the Good Lord for my son. Because yesterday could have ended up a lot different. 

First, let me give you a little background. My son is my son, any way you slice it. I love him as my own. He's my husband's boy, and has been in my life since he was about 8. He's lived with us for years and I adore him. My husband says I spoil him rotten, and maybe I do. He's a great kid. Honest, sweet, funny, hard working, and even makes his own bed every morning! He's never given us a lick of trouble. 





 I was standing in the kitchen fixing my cup of coffee to go. I was about to leave for work. My son was supposed to be on his way home from his girlfriend's house so that he could go to work, too. It was about 8:00 a.m. 
My cell phone rang. I looked at the caller i.d. and it was my son. "Hey, Baby," I said to him. What followed next had my heart racing, breath short, and tears flowing in an instant. Panic was setting in- and fast.
All I heard was a hysterical voice on the other end. I couldn't understand much, only bits and pieces. The only words I could understand- truck, tree, ditch and 'I'm sorry'. That was all it took. I went into "mom" mode. First thing I did was ask if he was okay. Next thing I did was told him to calm down so he could tell me where he was. Next thing I did was tell him to hang up and call 911. At this point, my husband grabbed the phone from from me in order to get the information he needed to get to where he was.  My hand went immediately to my mouth. I kept saying "Oh My God." My husband grabbed me and said "Let's go. I'll drive."


 When we got to him, he was being checked out by the EMT's. He had a few cuts and bruises, but he was okay. I lost it. I cried. I hugged him. I told him I loved him. Seeing the truck really put things into perspective for me. We were lucky. The fireman said had he hit the tree 3 inches to the left, we'd have rolled up on a whole different scenario. He had an Angel in that truck. I will always believe that. God was looking out for all of us yesterday. We were lucky He was. 






Hug your babies. Tell them you love them. Wear your seatbelts. Be careful. 

This blog post is more personal than I usually get, but I wanted you to know how yesterday moved me. Life is awfully short. I want to take this moment to thank each and every one of you who follow my blog, read my books, follow me on FaceBook, Goodreads, or my website. Thank you! It means a lot, even though I may not know you personally. :) 

1 comment: